Friday, February 15, 2008
- A hockey arena in Hallock;
- An orchestra hall for Minneapolis;
- Upgrades to the John Rose skating rink in Roseville;
- The �Prairie Ecology Center� in Jackson County;
- An ATV trail in Kittson County;
- The Thief River Falls multi-events complex;
- An ice arena for Crookston;
- A senior center in Mora;
- The Hinkley Fire Monument;
- Expansion of the Saint Cloud Civic Center;
- The Pine Grove Zoo in Little Falls;
- The Northwest Hennepin Family Center;
- The Austin Area Success Center;
- Improvement to the Duluth Convention Center;
- The Voyageurs Heritage Center;
- The Alden Community Center;
- The Blazing Star Bicycle Trail;
- A snowmaking machine for the Battle Creek Recreation Area;
- Heritage Village Park in Inver Grove Heights;
- The Mayo Civic Center;
- The Southern Minnesota Women�s Hockey Exposition Center;
- A community Center in Pemberton.
Make no mistake -- it is not only DFLers asking for these bits of largesse. Indeed, the bills introduced by Republicans are little more than offers to sell out some bit of the resolve the House GOP had last session in return for a photo op. As a companion to the earmark reform cry that may be a centerpiece of the McCain national campaign, I hope the Minnesota GOP leadership will ask each member of its caucus to withdraw these requests and refuse to put any more in this session. And refuse to vote on ANY bill on the floor until the Transportation Contingency Advisory Committee releases the money for completion of the I-35W bridge reconstruction. Like the U.S. House Republicans over FISA, just walk away from the floor until the money is passed over to MnDOT.
No pork: Bond for bridges.
A house that lasts 50 years is paid for over 30 years. A bridge that lasts 50 years doesn't have to be paid for in two. Let those who will benefit in the future share in the cost.