The annual Beloit Mindset List is out for the Class of 2012
. What do entering first-year students know? The list is long, here are just a few of my favorites:
- They have always been looking for Carmen Sandiego.
- GPS satellite navigation systems have always been available
- Gas stations have never fixed flats, but most serve cappuccino.
- The Warsaw Pact is as hazy for them as the League of Nations was for their parents.
- IBM has never made typewriters.
- There has always been Pearl Jam.
- The Green Bay Packers (almost) always had the same starting quarterback.
- Muscovites have always been able to buy Big Macs.
My brother is going through withdrawal from sending his first-born off to college last week; today is convocation at St. Cloud State. First order of business with these students will be to tell them who Stevie Ray Vaughn
Labels: Feminists, higher education