Wednesday, March 14, 2007
Already DFLers have designed bills totalling $3,000,000,000 in new taxes and fees. Some are detailed below.
- Rep. Mindy Greiling (D-Roseville) wants to raise income taxes by $252 million. (House File 1738)
- Rep. Ann Lenczewski (D-Bloomington) wants to raise income taxes on 170,000 taxpayers. She added this tax increase with an amendment to House File 1258. It would collect millions more in income taxes.
- Rep. Melissa Hortman (
) wants to impose an extra sales tax to pay for transit and other purposes. In the Metro area, there would be one tax increase. In the rest of the state, the new tax could be proposed by any two or more county boards. (House File 1463) D-Brooklyn Park
- Rep. Rick Hansen (D-South St. Paul) would impose an extra sales tax to raise at least $500 million a year pay for new parks, trails, and habitat projects. (House File 1449)
- Rep. Shelley Madore (
) wants to impose an extra sales tax on the three million people in the metro area to pay for more buses and trolleys. (House File 1112). D-Apple Valley
- Rep. Joe Mullery (D-Minneapolis) wants to put a 10% tax on people who give gifts. If the donor does not pay the tax, then the tax liability shifts to the person who received the gift. In such cases, the donor would still be liable for a $100 penalty for not paying the gift tax. Under the bill, you could be required to show the gift to the Commissioner of Revenue to determine its true worth. (House File 1212)
- Rep. Larry Haws (D-St. Cloud) wants to raise fees for county and regional jails. )House File 161)
- Rep. Brita Sailer (D-Park Rapids) wants to raise fees on video and electronic equipment sales. (House File 854)
- Rep. Joe Atkins (
) wants to impose an extra $250 fee on cigarette manufacturers. (House File 1737) D-Inver Grove Heights
- Rep. Erin Murphy (D-St. Paul) wants to raise pharmacy fees automatically on an annual basis. (House File 1722)