Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Can I get credit for protesting Michael Moore? 

The fellow who runs our GLBT/L.S.M.F.T. services program sent out a request to the campus announce list for faculty and staff "who are willing and able to assist undergraduate GLBT students with academic tutoring and or mentoring". One faculty member replied to the whole campus offering his services:
I teach racial issues courses, social justice issues, ... as well as offering independent studies, especially to activists seeking credit for what they are doing, and those with defined research projects for which classes are otherwise unavailable.

Emphasis mine. Is this what we mean by "academic distinction"?