Just out from your Department of the 3.7 GPA
, another new course proposal that should be thrown into evidence of where current higher education is going.
HURL 408/508 Global Human Relations. A global study of racism, sexism, heterosexism, class issues, and the interrelationships of global social justice issues.
Well, sure, a global study. (Don't) Think globally, act (like an ass) locally or something like that. But if you read the other courses, this looks the same as the five we reviewed last week
. What's new? Let's visit the course outline.
- Definitions of oppression and human rights. Remember, you have to write the dictionary to get your worldview enforced.
- Global racism.
- Class issues and world hunger and labor exploitation.
- Global status of women and GLBT people. (What, no Q's?)
- Interrelationship of various global issues. Which would seem to be the course description, but there are five more items.
- International financial institutions and trade agreements. (Taught by people in the education college, not social science.)
- Movements for global justice and activism. (Here we go again, advocating activism.)
- Implications of terrorism and WMD. What is the relevance?
- Critiques of US and international media. Somehow I think the BBC will get off easily.
- Shifting trends in US foreign policy. With what expertise? Reading the Guerilla News Network and showing slanted videos about Iraq?
Again, this is advocacy masquerading as academic work, at a public university in a state cutting its higher education budget. And they wonder why people won't pay more